The Nordic and Baltic Ministers responsible for agricultural production at a meeting in Tallinn 7-8 November 2003 adopted a declaration on enhanced cooperation in order to develop organic food and agriculture production in the Nordic-Baltic region. They agreed as follows:
1. The Ministers recognized that organic food and agriculture production can contribute to reaching several objectives, including more sustainable and environmentally friendly agricultural production and increased variety in the food sector. They acknowledged that the Nordic and Baltic states have common challenges inter alia regarding the development of organic food and agriculture production in accordance with consumer demands.
2. The Ministers declared their intention to work for developed organic food and agriculture production in the Nordic-Baltic region by enhancing:
- Exchange of information and knowledge regarding the development of organic food and agriculture production and, when appropriate
- Project based cooperation between the Nordic and Baltic states.
3. For the period 2004-2006 the Ministers agreed to give priority to cooperation and consultation in relation to the following areas:
- Control and regulations
- Extension services and
- Market development.
4. The Ministers gave the task to the Committee of Senior Officials for Agriculture and Forestry of the Nordic Council of Ministers, extended with participation from the Baltic states (CSO-NB8-Agriculture/Forestry) as a body responsible for the overall cooperation to ensure that suitable means are used to implement the priority areas of cooperation. Consultations for the development of common strategies or solution of problems of common interest should take place, when appropriate. Active use should be made of Nordic-Baltic cooperation within established as well as ad hoc networks. Such networks could when appropriate be given the task under the supervision of the CSO-NB8- Agriculture/Forestry to initiate and steer specific activities aimed at implementing the priority areas of the Declaration.
List Ministers participating in the adoption of the Tallinn Declaration on Organic Food and Agriculture Production in the Nordic-Baltic Region, 7 November 2003
Ms Mariann Fischer Boel, Minister of Food, Agriculture and Fisheries, Denmark
Mr. Tiit Tammsaar, Minister of Agriculture, Estonia
Mr. Juha Korkeaoja, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Finland
Mr. Árni Matthíesen, Minister of Fisheries, Iceland
Mr. Mārtiņš Roze, Minister of Agriculture, Latvia
Mr. Jeronimas Kraujelis, Minister of Agriculture, Lithuania
Mr. Lars Sponheim, Minister of Agriculture, Norway
Ms Ann-Christin Nykvist, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries, Sweden