Guide: Moving from Åland

Kobba klintar
Bent Blomqvist
Here you will find information on what you need to think about if you are moving from Åland to Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden or Svalbard. You can also find links to checklists if you are moving to Sweden or going there to study.

There is always a lot to remember when you move between two countries. For example, you need to have your mail forwarded and notify your change of address to Kela. You should also check your taxation status since even if you move away from Åland you can still be considered liable for tax. You should change your unemployment fund and trade union to the new country, terminate your rental agreement and hand over your apartment, go through your subscriptions and insurance contracts, check customs rules on removals, take various certificates and documents with you and have a valid ID card with you.

Notification of move in Åland

The Digital and Population Data Services Agency provides a nationwide service. In Åland, however, matters can be taken care of at the State Department of Åland. DVV - Digital and Population Data Services Agency.

You must remember to make a notification of move to the Local Register Office department of the State Department of Åland when you move.


Moving from Åland to Sweden?

Most people moving from Åland move to Sweden, and in this case you can find most of the things to remember when moving to Sweden in the checklists below. There is also a separate checklist for persons moving to Sweden to study with 10 important points to remember.

Note: It can take up to 4 months to get a personal identity number in Sweden.


Remember to get your mail redirected abroad. You need to notify your change of address when you move. Notify your new address to Åland Post, stating that your current address is no longer valid.

Population registration

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, you do not need a visa or work or residence permit to live or work in the Nordic region. However, you have to follow the rules on e.g. population registration in the country concerned.

Social security

If you move abroad, you must always notify Kela/FPA, who evaluate on the basis of your notification if you can continue to be covered by social security in Finland/Åland while you are away. You can find more information on which country’s social security you are covered by in the link below. Kela has a quick guide on moving abroad.


Generally you pay tax in the country where you work or get income. If you live and work in different countries, your income can affect your taxation in your country of residence too. For that reason income must be declared both in your country of residence and employment. Read more about taxation in the Nordic tax portal Nordisk eTax or on the Info Norden pages on taxation in the various countries.

Removal goods

If you move from Åland to another EU country or to a country outside the EU (Norway and Iceland as well as the Faroe Islands and Greenland, which are non-EU territories), you must make an export declaration for your removal goods. Moving from Åland to Finland is an exception. If you move from Åland, you should check the customs rules applicable to your country of destination.


If you move to another Nordic country with a car or other vehicle, you often need to register the vehicle in the new country. If you live abroad or come to the country temporarily, you may under certain conditions use a vehicle that is registered abroad. Read more about this here.

Driving licences

An Åland/Finnish driving licence entitles you to drive in all the Nordic countries in accordance with the vehicle classes stated on the licence. Read more about this on the pages below.

Moving guides for the Nordic countries

If you move to Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Greenland or Svalbard, you can check the Info Norden moving guides here.

More information

Contact the authority

If you have questions about the notification of move when moving away from Åland, you can contact the Local Register Office in Åland here

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.