Guide: Studying in Denmark

Studerende på et bibliotek

Studerende på et bibliotek

Yadid Levy/

Students in a library.

Young people from the Nordic countries have many opportunities to study in Denmark. Here you will find an overview of everything you need to know: How do you find the study programme of your dreams? What should you consider when you are moving? And what can you do with your education once you've finished?

The Nordic countries give students from all over the Nordic region equal opportunities to take programmes of higher education throughout the region. This is due to the Nordic agreement on access to higher education.

Where can you find information about education in Denmark?

You can learn more about programmes of higher education in the Info Norden pages, where you can read about the different types of education, such as university degrees, vocational degrees and the professional Bachelor degree.

On the website UddannelsesGuiden you will find up-to-date and comprehensive information in Danish about all publicly-recognised programmes of education in Denmark, i.e. upper secondary education, higher education, adult education and supplementary training.

The website is targeted at foreign students, and contains information about English-language education opportunities as well as general information about studying in Denmark.

How can you gain admission to a study programme in Denmark?

Bachelor degree, vocational college and professional Bachelor

You must apply for admission to a Danish programme of higher education through All applicants with a foreign examination must apply by 12.00 pm on 15 March in the year in question. The study places available are divided into two quotas: ‘quota 1’ and ‘quota 2’. Nordic citizens are assessed under both quota 1 and quota 2.

In quota 1, the admission requirements are based on meeting a number of academic preconditions that are specific to each programme, together with a specific average grade. You can find information on the assessment of academic preconditions and the conversion of grades from various countries in the Examination Handbook of the Ministry of Higher Education and Science.

Master's programme

To be admitted to a Master's programme, you must normally have passed a relevant and recognised university degree equivalent in level and content to a Danish Bachelor degree. The specific admission requirements and application procedures for each Master's programme are set out in the universities’ descriptions of the individual programmes. For further information, contact the university directly.

What are the possibilities for student exchange stays in Denmark?

If you are a student in a programme of higher education in a Nordic country, you will often be able to apply for a student exchange in Denmark through the Nordic programme Nordplus or the European Erasmus+.

You will typically need to contact the international office of your programme for more information.

Can you receive a state educational grant while studying in Denmark?

Most students from Nordic countries receive student grants from their country of citizenship. However, if you are a citizen of another Nordic country, you may in some cases be able to receive the Danish student grant, SU. This may be because you have lived in Denmark for a long time, or work in Denmark.

What practical things should you consider?

If you are considering living and studying in Denmark, there are several things to consider. You can read Info Norden's guide on Moving to Denmark, or see an overview of the most important links here.

Civil registration

Can you use your Danish education abroad?

As a general rule, you can apply for programmes of higher education in Denmark from anywhere in the Nordic countries, but there are of course programmes that are aimed at the Danish labour market or adapted to Danish rules. The individual Nordic countries also have a number of regulated professions that require a licence in order to practise. You should therefore always check the rules for the recognition of qualifications and authorisation in the country or countries in which you intend to work after you have completed your education.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.